Monday, June 14, 2010

The Talk

(image from MarkupCartoons.com)

When my son was 12, we had The Talk.  I explained, in terms he could understand, the differences between women and men.  I told him how babies are made, again at his level of understanding, but explaining what goes where and what happens.  When I briefly explained menopause, his face scrunched up and he said "I'm glad I'm not a girl."

His curiosity has never been enough to make me squirm.  He has asked the occasional question and I have answered him.  Truthfully, but, again, in terms he can understand.

So when I read this article about a father who gave his son a Playboy and a blow-up doll, I had a whole different appreciation of The Talk.  I wish I had thought of this when my son was younger.

Thanks Dad, for the Blow-Up Doll (ParentDish.com)

What kind of Talk have you had with your child?

No comments:

Post a Comment